Friday, January 4, 2008

The Magicians Guild by Trudi Canavan

Each year the magicians of Imardin gather together to purge the city streets of vagrants, urchins and miscreants. Masters of the disciplines of magic, they know that no one can oppose them. But their protective shield is not as impenetrable as they believe. Sonea, angry, frustrated and outraged by the treatment of her family and friends, hurls a stone at the shield, putting all her rage behind it. To the amazement of all who bear witness, the stone passes unhindered through the barrier and renders a magician unconscious. The magicians' guild's worst fear has been realised... There is an untrained magician loose on the streets. She must be found before her uncontrolled powers unleash forces that will destroy both her, and the city that is her home.

This was the most fun I've had reading in a long time. I was initially reluctant to read as it seemed like yet another boring sci-fi/fantasy book. I was wrong. The first part of the book is spent trying to evade capture as the list of people you can trust dwindles away slowly. The second part deals with what happens when you're captured and it turns out that it's not that bad. Almost... I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of the trilogy. Read it!

Buy this book online at Amazon, Amazon UK, Kalahari or Loot

2 comments:

ExMi said...

I read about 4 or 5 books a week....am a stay at home mommy now, with time on my hands....how do i become a contributor to this blog?

phillygirl said...

@mistakes&thrills - you ask me nicely ;) will be in touch.