Friday, August 31, 2007

A Booke of Days by Steven J. Rivelle

A fascinating account of the Crusades. Yes it's fiction dressed up as 'look what I found in the archives', but if you read the fine print, you'll see that it is indeed a novel. On the other hand, you could also argue that it's the story of a man's journey towards enlightenment dressed up as a book about a bunch of prejudiced religious fanatics going around killing people who don't agree with them. And if you were to suggest that I am prejudiced against the latter category, you would be right.

Essentially the book follows the author's 'ancestor' as he journeys from France to the Near East. The book focusses on his relationship with the people around him, the people he left behind and the people he meets on the way. It's written as a diary covering the activities, the people and his thoughts - specifically his doubts, which increase exponentially as they get closer and closer to the Holy Land. It's a fascinating, often crude, insight into what life might have been like in those times. Even if you don't like historical fiction, I'd suggest you read this simply to see the way blind faith can impact people's lives.

Buy this book online at Amazon, Amazon UK or Loot

3 comments:

Christopher de Beer said...

very cool blog, i look forward to keep checking in to see newer reviews

frum me

Allen Binai said...

Mr. Rivele is in my opinion a consumate writer. I think he really did a good job researching his ancestory before undertaking this work.

This might be a novel, but it has an historical base. And for people like me who enjoy medieval tomes, it proves to be a real 'page turner'. As it was recommended to me by a friend, I would do the same to anyone who wants to read about the times of the Crusades.

Unknown said...

I'm reading this book right now, and I find it very interesting. I agree with allen binai, I do think that this novel has a very solid historical base. By the way, if you like medieval novels, you should try "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet and the Cursed Kings by Maurice Duron. =)