Monday, September 10, 2007

McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy

Despite the many exotic places Pete McCarthy has visited, he finds that nowhere can match the particular magic of Ireland, his mother's homeland. In McCarthy's Bar, he journeys from Cork to Donegal. Travelling through spectacular landscapes, but at all times obeying the rule, Never Pass a Bar That Has Your Name On It, he encounters McCarthy's Bar's up and down the land, meeting fascinating, friendly and funny people before pleading to be let out at four o'clock in the morning.

Through adventures with English crusties who have colonised a desolate mountain; roots-seeking, buffet-devouring Americans; priests for whom the word 'father' has a loaded meaning; enthusiastic Germans who 'here since many years holidays are making'; and his fellow barefoot pilgrims on an island called Purgatory, Pete pursues the secrets of Ireland's global popularity and his own confused Irish-Anglo identity.


This is quite literally one of my favourite books ever. I challenge anyone to read it and not have fits of giggles and feel the desire to go and visit Ireland. I guess that I am completely obsessed with Ireland and all things Irish but I seriously would recommend this book.

Whilst the book is not strictly fiction and is in fact a travel book the stories about the places that he goes to and the people that he meets make this book a rival to any fiction story. In fact if it was set anywhere else I'd refuse to believe that it was real and would be completely convinced that Pete had taken creative licence and embellished the people. However Ireland being Ireland these stories are all true and it is his delicious dry and naughty humour which make this book so amusing.

Throughout this book Pete asks the question of whether or not you can truly belong in a country that you've never lived in and whether just having family descent from an area can remain in your blood and make that country your true home. For me it can be an interesting question as I am first generation South African with no other family being born there but I believe myself to be a true South African. Many other people disagree with me and say that I am British however I refuse to believe this!

Buy this book online at Amazon, Amazon UK, Kalahari or Loot

No comments: