Monday, March 19, 2007

I Want My Life Back by Steve Hamilton

"At the age of 15 I already had a criminal record, busted by the drug squad for possession of an illigal substance. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson, wouldn't you, but I'm still learning, even though I'm clean of street drugs now - well, just for today - and have a lot of clean time behind me. The hardest lesson of all for an addict is that the nightmare is never over and the powerful seduction of just one more high never ever goes away." Steve Hamilton's story is not a comfortable one. He tells of his life growing up with drugs and his battles with heroin, the book is at times harrowing reading but his story is touching and heartfelt throughout.

I enjoyed this book. It's a little disjointed as he keeps explaining, he is brain-damaged as a result of the drugs and it means things don't happen in order when he remembers them. And that's pretty much how he wrote the book. It's one I'd definitely think of getting my kids to read one day when they get to around that age. It certainly shows all the truly scary things drug-addiction can do to you.

Buy this book online at Amazon, Amazon UK, Kalahari or Loot

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was a very touching and brilliant book. Even the way it was written was brilliant. When i was in highschool he came to speak about drugs- It really makes anyone not want to touch the stuff.Have you read melinda ferguson smacked? angiemisslavish.blogspot.com